Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Our Christmas Day


I got up at 7:30 thinking I would beat the crowd and get a shower before everyone woke up and wanted to eat breakfast and open presents. Little did I know that Samuel wouldn't get up until 9:00 and Joel and Ed at 10:00! When Samuel came down at 9 he noticed the presents under the tree. I asked him if he wanted to open a present or his stocking before the others got up, but he said "that's okay, mom. Let's just wait on the other guys." So sweet! So he and I hung out and played cars until the others came out.

We had breakfast together and talked about it being Jesus' birthday. The boys sang Happy Birthday and we opened our last Christmas Countdown box. It was Jesus in the manger and we hung it on the tree. Then each boy recited the verse(s) he had learned. They did a great job.


Then we decided to open presents. This took for-ever! Each time they opened something they wanted to get it out and play with it for a super long time. Towards the end it was getting to be lunchtime and I actually had to force them to sit down and open their last two presents so we could just be done! And it's not like we got them a bunch of stuff or anything. They were just slow as could be! They loved each present they got though. Samuel even said "it's just what I always wanted" to two of the things!




We had lunch and then everyone in the house took naps. We were supposed to make a birthday cake for Jesus after naps, but I was seriously sick at this point (with a terrible head cold) and couldn't muster the strength to do it. So we put candles in our French silk pie at dinner to sing Happy Birthday to Jesus. The boys were content to play with their toys all day long.

All in all, it was a really great Christmas with just our immediate family. We headed to Indiana after church the next day for McLallin and Seitz family Christmas. I'm going to have to bum those pictures off my mom because I didn't even take my camera along for the trip.

A very merry Payneful Christmas!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh thank you! I have been waiting for this.
Love, Aunt Mary

Lois said...

I love your stories and am so happy that this Christmas was so much fun for all of you. A long way from last year.
And I can still remember how your mom and I would talk about how wonderful our life would be if we had children. We had no idea that even better than that blessing would be grandchildren.!!!