Monday, April 23, 2007

Walking Lexicon

Ed is 5 weeks away from graduating from Southeastern Seminary with a Master of Divinity. What does he have to show for his three years of hard work? A lot, actually. But everyone's favorite: his vocab cards. These dear, sweet cards have been a part of our family since we arrived in Wake Forest, NC. The collection has certainly grown through the semesters. Ed now knows 3800 Hebrew words, 800 Greek words, and 400 Latin words. The 3800 Hebrew words are all of the words that appear in the Hebrew Bible two or more times. Whew. I am very proud of Ed for all the work he has put into school. Although, I must admit that I have been known to refer to these vocab cards as "his mistress" a time or two. You wouldn't believe the amount of time he spends with those things! :)

Ed is currently really working on the Latin aspect of things. He is taking the PhD level course to prepare for the PhD program out in SF. He just started the class in January. He has been studying 4 chapters a week out of his Wheelock's Latin book, and has memorized those 400 words, with more to go.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

My personal favorite part of the pictures is the "Kicking it with Jesus" T-shirt. How do you say that in Hebrew?

Anonymous said...

Is that Ed posing with his bags of crack? Doesn't seminary have rules about this sort of thing?

Krista said...

Ahhhh, tbe notecards! Yes, Josh has many of these too :) What a memory of SEBTS!!! How are you?! What is Samuel eating these days? Lydia just doesn't care a thing about food and I'm nursing her just as much as when she was 2 months old. I don't know what to do :)

Eric said...

Leah,

I remember the first class I had with Ed. I did not know his name yet, but I did know that he was that crazy guy with the note cards. On more than one occasion, I saw Ed almost walk right into other students because he had his head down looking at note cards while walking to another class. Despite this, I admired his devotion to the Hebrew language. I have no doubt that Ed will do well out at Golden Gate. I look forward to seeing where God takes you all after your time in S.F. By the way, I hear there is a bit of a mission field out there in California!

Anonymous said...

How do you say "dork" in Hebrew? Or is that card 3801?